The gracious corner building at 3240 Hiatt Place NW is one of a row of seven three-story houses constructed in 1899. John H. Nolan—described by the Washington Post in 1905 among the city’s “best known constructors of modern buildings”—partnered with architect George S. Cooper to build the row. While Cooper and Nolan may be best-known for their historically landmarked Bond Building at 14th Street and New York Avenue NW, they are also credited for attracting middle class DC residents to live in apartments. The Balfour at 16th and U NW is one of several historically designated apartment buildings this pair built. Cooper also designed the Ashburn nearby at 13th and Harvard.
Long before Bell Multicultural High School occupied much of Hiatt Place, this was School Street. It was named for the Mount Pleasant School, opened in 1871 to serve the new Mount Pleasant neighborhood which then extended all the way east to 14th Street. At the west of end of the row anchored by 3240 Hiatt Place